Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tea, Cake and My Car ..





The table is set perfectly, for 'tea for two'. (and the piece of cake is ready too).  I am really looking forward to this. There is still a good half an hour left for my guest to arrive as per the  text  I just got. Suddenly the door bell rings..............  


Then I see through my door peep hole just to find that my relatives have come. My relatives had told me that they would make a surprise visit.  But , I was cursing god, "Why today, and why now of all time in the world?". I did not have ample time to converse with God. The orthodox brahmin couple entered my house without any invitation and their younger son started running through the house as if this was some playground for him. I had nicely arranged all the things in the house to impress her. I even had a bet with her, that if she finds the house clean, then I could call her whenever I wanted to and she would not cut the call. 

The couple asked me in unison in their high pitched tone, "Do you always maintain your home like this?". I replied, "Yes, do you have a problem?". I could sense some strange expressions on their faces. I immediately wanted to change the topic. Sometimes brain stops working in these kind of situations.     I asked them, "Do you like to have something?". The confusion on their faces faded into smiles. Uncle started, "I see that you have everything ready for us. You have kept some tea and cake on the table. How so nice of you..."

 My fake smile on my face could no longer hide the feelings of my heart and I shouted, "No . no uncle. Those are not for you.. err.. Sorry.. Those won't suit your health. They are lying their on the table for the past two days. I forgot to remove them. For the past two days, I am having food outside and I did not bother to clean my table. And .." I was searching for some more linking parameters which would make a nice bit of excuse...

Aunt started, "Off oh.. No problem. Don't worry. We have not come for eating. We just wanted to meet you nah. Simply. I came to your colony to meet some ladies to discuss .." I was imagining when she will come and what would she feel like. "... then I just told your uncle that we will meet you, and that we would surprise you as we had told before. Uncle agreed and anyway, Raju was enthusiastic to see your toy car collection. We straight away started towards your home." I calmly replied, "Oh so nice of you to come here. By the way, when you are planning to leave?" I could not believe what I just uttered. They absolutely had no clue to why I was behaving so strangely. 

In a moment of time, things happened which were beyond anyone's control I would say. Raju had taken my flying car from the collection and he could not operate it so well that it was flying haphazardly in the drawing room. I screeched at Raju, "Give me the remote control" To my horror, the car landed on my table, right next to tea cup. And it did not stop there. The car stopped after hitting both the tea cups and cake fell on the ground spoiling the chocolate cream spread on it.

The next moment, I heard TING TONG. Raju opened the door. She was clad in her favourite pair of shirt and jeans. She saw me with the remote control and the cars next to the broken tea cups and floor smeared with chocolate, which invited some orthodox house-flies too......
I just managed to hear two words out of her mouth that day, " Hi ... Bye..."

13 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

Awwwwww..
Loved it!
Please point me to that small little destructive fellow--would like to give him 'one tight slap' :)

Nicely done! I could picture it all happening vividly in front of my eyes.

Thank you so much for taking part.
Cheers
preeti

Ganesh Swamypillai said...

Thank you Preethi to take your time and read it.
Ha ha, that small destructive fellow has now gone to his house, he took off few cars without informing me...

Guna said...

Dai...epudi da idhellaam!?!!! Super machi, such a lovely sketch u had created for all of us. No words to express what i feel...thanks for giving me a good read Ganesh

Ganesh Swamypillai said...

Thank you guna.

Rachit said...

I drew sketches of things happening, word to word. Loved reading it Ganesh!

What did your relatives say to you after seeing that girl?

Ganesh Swamypillai said...

Thanks Rachit.. My relatives said, "What culture she has? What is that dress??... I replied, "Next time, you come. I will serve cold spoilt tea and worm-eaten cakes only... "

Anonymous said...

Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Good work
-Sasi

Ganesh said...

Fiction. Basically it was an initiative by Preethi Shenoy to help bloggers to write some content on the topic suggested by her.. you can check in her blog:
justamotheroftwo.blogspot.com

C Naveen Krishna said...

Superb ganesh...waiting for more
...

Ganesh Swamypillai said...

Thanks cnk :)

nivas said...

Ganesh, didn't know you are such a good writer. i really pictured everything as i read. Keep it going.

Ganesh Swamypillai said...

thanks nivas

banti said...

-Good piece of information.